Friday, May 15, 2009

Apartment Hunting in NYC

After many weeks of fruitless apartment searching, finally I have found two places that I would want to call home in Brooklyn. Along the way I’ve met many crazy people and seen some dreadful apartments (especially in Manhattan). If nothing else at least I found out that I have no desire to live with 7 foreign people above busy Canal Street, in a railroad apartment - where you walk through the other girl’s bedrooms to get to the kitchen & bathroom, an industrial loft in a shady area of Brooklyn, in a tiny twin-bed room sharing with a creepy older British guy who talks in monotone, in a laid-off lawyer’s bedroom while he slept in the living room, down in the dirty basement with a future sex therapist and some messy guy in his 40’s, with a girl who’s extremely anal about cleaning and doesn’t tolerate any dirty dishes in the sink, or another girl who’s a macrobiotic marathon runner and wouldn’t let me use chemical cleaning products, in a upstairs room with a big hole in the ceiling which probably leaks water when it rains or with an environmentalist guy who tells me up front that the TV belongs in the closet. I really wish I had brought along a video camera to film my experience of looking at these New York City homes.

Here are the two that I liked the best and have put in offers for:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Rent: $830 / 3 bedroom & 1 bath apartment, on the 4th floor of a fantastic marble building literally a block from the Grand Entrance to Prospect Park. Lots of house plants, natural light throughout the apartment. TV and comfy common room furniture, a bit messy overall (could be due to the moving out situation). The area seems very safe and nice. Bonus is that it's a sublet for just the summer and I could move-in starting this week.

Super convenient transportation, within walking distance to the 2, 3 and the B, Q train lines. So my daily commute into SoHo would probably be under 20 minutes and easy to visit Tim as well.

Living with 2 girls – One of them is a French student who’s leaving at the end of June, the other is a chill social worker in Brooklyn who has lived there for 3 years.

Smaller sized bedroom but will fit my current bed and a dresser. Big closet and storage nook.

Butler Place at Plaza Street (google map)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Rent: $1000 / 2 bedroom apartment, on the 2nd floor of a new renovated building in South Park Slope area. Not such a pretty street to look at but close by to the park and 7th Ave (with all the boutique shops and restaurants). Available 6/1, taking over the leaving girl's 6 month lease.

Living with another girl, Pascale, an artist who also works for Helmut Lang. She wasn’t home to meet because she works crazy fashion hours and travels a lot.

The amenities in the apartment are amazing – new kitchen appliances, dishwasher, air conditioner, FREE washer/dryer (in the hallway). Another big plus is that I would get my own full bathroom. Nicely furnished living room with a small flat screen TV and a decent sized bedroom with all white furniture & a big sliding door closet.

Prospect Avenue at 8th Avenue (google map)

----------------------------------------------------------------

I’m heavily leaning towards the marble building right by the park and living with the cool social worker lady because I think I would get along well with her. I really need to make my final decision today because I have to hand over lots of rent money on Thursday night!

No comments: